Effective Thursday, August 5, face masks will be required in all indoor facilities regardless of vaccination status. View additional updates at dccc.edu/coronavirus.
English as a Second Language Placement Testing
After being admitted to the College, students whose Native language is not English and were not born and raised in the United States should take the ESL placement test. Scores on the placement test determine the courses to begin a successful academic path.
- When you apply to the College, you will be given directions about taking the placement test
- The ESL test will measure your aptitude in four subjects: listening and speaking, grammar, reading, and writing. To get more information about the placement test, visit accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students.
- On the day of the test, you will receive a date to attend a College Planning Session.
- At the College Planning, you will learn about the many resources at the College, receive your test scores and register for classes.
- On the first day of class, instructors will give a test in the particular subject (e.g. ESL 023 Grammar or ESL 044 Writing) to ensure placement test accuracy
- If students are eligible to take regular courses while studying ESL, advisors should recommend only those courses that require limited English communication skills
Test Scores for Admission
- A TOEFL iBT score of 80+, TOEFL PBT score of 550+, or IELTS score of 6.5+ will qualify you to take the English placement test (and not the ESL placement test.).
The ESL placement test is offered at most campus locations. To schedule, contact Assessment Services at 610-359-5322.