Latino Initiatives and Outreach Network
Started in 2014 out of a desire to advocate for and support the increasingly growing Latino population, the Latino Initiatives and Outreach Network (LION) is an organization made up of professors, College administrators, and students, who seek to recruit, retain, empower, graduate and advance the Latino/Hispanic population at Delaware County Community College.
LION is interested in creating volunteer and outreach opportunities in the community and leadership and career development programs as well as academic support programs at the College. In addition, LION is interested in collaborating with state and local organizations in the community to develop partnerships focused on college accessibility and student learning that complement the academic, personal, career, social and cultural development of Latino/Hispanic students.
LION works in collaboration with the Admissions Office, Financial Aid Office, the Office of Student Success and First-Year Experiences and Campus Life to create a welcoming academic atmosphere and promote leadership and opportunity within the Latino community.
The goals of the Latino Initiatives and Outreach Network (LION) are to provide structure and opportunity for Latino students and faculty. Our progress toward achieving success will be defined by an increase in Latino student and faculty recruitment and by an increase in Latino student completion and graduation rates at Delaware County Community College. LION is strongly committed to the following goals:
- To aid in the increase of Latino/Hispanic student retention, progression, and graduation rates through initiatives
- To provide a safe space for Latinos that fosters a rewarding college experience for all Latino students irrespective of class, sexual orientation, nationality, citizenship, or immigrant status
- To support and guide the development of self-advocacy of Latino students so that they may attain their academic and professional ambitions
- To increase academic, social, career, and leadership opportunities for Latino students at Delaware County Community College
- To increase collaborative efforts among Latino faculty, staff, and students and their allies
- To raise awareness about the value of family involvement in a student’s educational journey and engage the family through outreach initiatives
- To raise awareness about college accessibility
- To raise awareness about the Latino student experience at Delaware County Community College.
Black and Latino Empowerment Initiative
MOCHA (Men of Color Helping Alliance)
Intercultural Friendship Program
Pennsylvania Immigration and Citizenship Coalition
Excelencia! in Education