Paralegal Studies Program Will Host a Free Criminal Expungement Clinic In-Person and Virtually on October 22
(Delaware and Chester Counties, PA • September 28, 2022)—The College’s Paralegal Studies Program will host a Criminal Expungement Clinic, in collaboration with Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, October 22 in the Café area of the Academic Building at the College’s Marple Campus, 901 S. Media Line Road, Media, PA, 19063. To register for either the in-person or virtual clinic, go to www.dccc.edu/expungement-clinic. The registration deadline is this Saturday, October 1. While the clinic will try to accommodate walk-ins, advance registration is preferred. The clinic does not handle cases for arrests and/or convictions that happened in Philadelphia or outside of Pennsylvania.
Under the supervision of attorneys from Legal Aid of Southeastern PA, Delaware County Community College paralegal students will assist people in determining if they are eligible to have prior arrests or convictions expunged or sealed from their record. Some convictions cannot be expunged but may be sealed so that they are not of public record. Paralegals may not practice law or otherwise provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law.
Criminal record expungement may be available for:
- Non-conviction dispositions (charges were dismissed, withdrawn, nolle prossed, not guilty, etc.)
- ARD/Section 17 if you have completed all of the requirements
- Summary convictions if you have five subsequent years free from arrest
- Summary convictions if you were under 18 years of age at the time of the offense, are now over 18 AND six months have passed since you completed the sentence and paid the fine
- Misdemeanor and felony convictions if you are 70+ years old and have a ten-year, arrest-free period since the end of your sentence (including probation or parole)
- If acquitted on all charges, expungement is automatic
For more information, email Delaware County Community College’s Director of Paralegal Studies Nilufar A. Jamir at [email protected] or leave a message at 610-359-5263.