Applicants are responsible for any and all costs/fees associated with the above requirements.
Prospective students should be aware that the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission has mandated a minimum standard for uncorrected distant vision of 20/70 in the stronger eye, correctable to 20/20; and at least 20/200, uncor-rected, in the weaker eye, correctable to at least 20/40; and with no signifi-cant visual abnormality.
Applicants shall have audio acuity sufficient to distinguish a normal whisper at a distance of 15 feet. The test shall be independently conducted for each ear while the tested ear is facing away from the speaker and the other ear is firmly covered with the palm of the hand. The applicant may not use a hearing aid or other aid to perform the test. If the applicant fails this test, the applicant shall be required to take and pass a decibel audio test.
The minimum age for admission into the Municipal Police Academy is 18. Admission to the program is based on a first-come, first-served basis. Class size is limited. In order to ensure the safety of the student, the College and the general public, Delaware County Community College has instituted nine (9) entrance requirements for admission to the academy:
- Physical Fitness Test: Each applicant must pass a physicalfitness test prior to being admitted to the Academy. Applicants will be notified of the testing date as well as the minimum physical fitness standards required for entry by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission.
- Psychological Evaluation: Applicants are required to take the Minnesota Multivariate Personality Inventory (MMPI), administered by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist. Applicants will be notified of the testing date.
- DCCC Placement Test: Each applicant is required to take the Nelson Denny reading and writing assessment. Applicants will be notified of the testing date.
- Health Examination: Each applicant is required to have a physical examination administered by a licensed physician. The necessary paperwork will be provided to applicants, and completed forms must be submitted at the time of physical fitness testing.
- Criminal Background Check: Each applicant must pass a criminal background check and be free from convictions of disqualifying criminal offenses (Misdemeanor II or above) according to the regulations of Act 120.**
- GED/High School Diploma: Applicants must be high school graduates or have completed the General Education Diploma (GED) to be eligible for admission to the program.
- Valid Automobile Driver’s License: A valid driver’s license is required for admission to the program.
- Certified Driver's Check : A certified driver’s check is required for admission to the Academy.**
- United States Citizen: Applicants must be citizens of the United States in order to be admitted to the Academy.
**The forms necessary to complete these requirements will be made available to applicants when they sit for the testing listed above.