At Delaware County Community College, assessment involves the systematic collection of data to determine whether students are developing mastery over course content. The goal of program (a program is defined as any degree or certificate granting entity) assessment at Delaware County Community College is to improve student learning and will be guided by the following principles:
- Faculty are best suited to determine their academic program competencies, assess the competencies, and use the results of assessment for program improvement
- The intention of program assessment is to evaluate program effectiveness
- Assessment of student learning is a three-step process that involves 1. Defining goals that are most important for students to achieve after participating in an academic experience (competencies) 2. Evaluating how well students are actually achieving these goals (assessment), and 3. Using the results to improve the academic experience (closing the loop)
- College Administrators will provide the necessary support to ensure that assessment and improvement of student learning remains an institutional priority
- Assessment is continuous and should be performed regularly; it should not be a one- time event
- The assessment process should be as efficient as possible while at the same time providing valid and reliable information
- Every program will be involved in the competency assessment process
The College's curriculum is competency-based. Programs outcomes and course competencies define the minimal learning outcomes they are designed to promote. Students must master these competencies/outcomes to successfully complete courses and/or programs. Our programs are designed to meet specific needs. These are expressed in each program mission statement. Over time, the specific needs a program was designed to meet may change. In order to cater to the ever changing educational landscape, programs are assessed to identify trends, strengths, and challenges and to use these findings for program improvement.
Additional resources are available to faculty on the Outcomes Assessment delaGATE page.