Early Childhood Education
The National Association for the Education of Young Children nationally accredited Early Childhood Education associate degree develops the knowledge, skills, and abilities of students interested in teaching or working in related careers with children birth through the fourth grade. The Early Childhood Education course of study provides a strong theoretical foundation in the principles of child growth and development, from the prenatal through primary years. The degree is designed to create competent and capable educators who provide and support each child in reaching their potential. Students will gain skills that focus on age appropriate child observation, curriculum planning, advocacy, engaging families, working with diverse learners. Students will study teaching strategies that improve learning, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Upon completion of the course of study, students receive an Associate in Arts degree and may either enter the workforce or transfer to a baccalaureate program that leads to PreK-4th grade teacher certification.
Because the course of study supports the needs of those wishing to pursue a variety of options including transfer, it is highly recommended that students consult their advisors and transfer agreements available through the Delaware County Community College portal.
Graduates of the course of study will be prepared to work as childcare teachers, directors, parent educators, children's recreation staff, teacher assistants, and instructional aides. Graduates who wish to pursue a Pennsylvania’s Pre-k to 4th Grade teacher certificate will need to transfer to complete a Pennsylvania Department of Education approved teacher certification program at a four-year college or university. Delaware County Community College has many Program-to-Program articulation agreements that allow our graduates to enter the four-year university as juniors.
Why Choose Delaware County Community College?
- Nationally recognized course of study
- Learn in a Demonstration Classroom (Marple Campus), designed specifically to meet the needs of diverse learners in an active learning classroom
- TEACH Scholarships accepted for working professionals interested in attaining their degree
- Stackable credentials- Child Development Associate, Pennsylvania Director’s Credential, AA degree
- Flexibility in completing the course of study with options to fit your schedule: part time, full time, Apprenticeship, Cohorts, online, face to face, and hybrid coursework. All courses are offered in traditional day courses as well as evening courses.
- Highly qualified faculty and adjuncts who bring direct experience and birth to grade 4 educational credentials to the classroom.