The College is open virtually to assist you while our physical locations are closed. Remote learning will continue through all spring and summer sessions. Please visit dccc.edu/coronavirus for more information.
Theatre Arts, Certificate of Competency
Effective: Fall, 2017
The Certificate of Competency in Theatre Arts is designed for students who wish to have sufficient theatre training to be able to pursue a career in the theatre, or who wish to apply for certain graduate level theatre training programs which accept students without a B.A. All Theatre Arts courses are transferable for those students who wish to pursue a B.A. in Theatre or Communication Arts. In the Theatre Arts Certificate of Competency program, students are given a strong background in a broad range of theatre skills, including acting, set construction and design, lighting design, costume and make-up design, and theatre history. Students may then choose from elective courses in Theatre Arts to complete the requirements for the Certificate of Competency.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the global history of Theatre, its major genres and trends, and most influential practitioners.
- Analyze and critique plays and scripts.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the basic theories and techniques of acting.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of set, lighting, costume, and make-up design.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of tool usage and safety.
- Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively within a group of diverse talents and skills to bring play or script to performance.
First Semester (10 credits)
|ENG 100 - English Composition I||3|
|DRA 114 - Theatre Arts Practicum||1|
|DRA 116 - Stagecraft||3|
|Please pick one of the following courses highlighted in blue:|
|DRA 105 - Acting Shakespeare||3|
|DRA 130 - Voice and Movement||3|
|ENG 207 - Creative Writing: An Introduction to Playwriting||3|
Second Semester (6 credits)
|DRA 100 - Introduction to Theatre||3|
|DRA 110 - Acting I||3|
Third Semester (3 credits)
|DRA 111 - Acting II||3|
Total Credits: 19
In compliance with Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations 668.6 of the Higher Education Act of 2008, click here to obtain information about tuition and fees, and other information associated with Delaware County Community College Gainful Employment Programs.