Perioperative Nursing, Certificate
Effective: Fall, 2017
The knowledge and techniques necessary to assume responsibilities of the periperative nurse are emphasized in this broad-based yet comprehensive orientation to the operating room and the perioperative role. Standards of patient care in the operating room are explored and identified. Assessment of patient needs and implementation of nursing interventions are emphasized. Collaborative decision making is reviewed relative to total intraoperative care. Subject material guides the learner to provide for and contribute to patient safety through control of internal and external environment, biological testing and product evaluation, as well as to assist the patient with the management of anxiety through the principles of biological, physical and social sciences. The College recognizes the standards of perioperative nursing practice of the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) as the conceptual basis of specialty practice in the operating room. All levels of registered nurses may attend the perioperative nursing classes with a current, valid nursing license in the state in which they will perform their perioperative nursing practicum. NCLEX eligible graduate nurses may also apply to the perioperative nursing program.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students should be able to:
- Analyze established standards and recommended practices for perioperative nursing.
- Identify processes for measuring the quality of patient care.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide appropriate care given to surgical patients during the intraperative period.
- Apply the nursing diagnosis as the prescriptive principle that guides perioperative nursing activity.
- Use the nursing process as the model for continuous and systematic data collection for the patient undergoing surgical intervention.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the surgical patient as the center of the broad scope of activities which encompass the professional practice of perioperative nursing.
First Semester (6 credits)
|NUS 205 - Perioperative Nursing||3|
|NUS 206 - Perioperative Preceptorship||3|
Total Credits: 6
In compliance with Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations 668.6 of the Higher Education Act of 2008, click here to obtain information about tuition and fees, and other information associated with Delaware County Community College Gainful Employment Programs.