The College is open to assist you both virtually and at some select physical locations. Remote learning will continue through the summer and fall sessions. A small number of hybrid classes are offered with limited class meetings on campus and other work assigned online. Visit dccc.edu/coronavirus for more information.
Automotive Technology I, Certificate
This certificate is designed to prepare the student for entry level positions in the occupational specialty of automotive technician. The Certificate of Competency in Automotive Technology I will be awarded upon successful completion of the minimum competencies as out-lined below. Program completers will be prepared to seek positions as entry-level automotive service technicians and automotive mechanics.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Identify tool and equipment nomenclature.
- Adhere to tool safety regulations.
- Explain the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and the "right to know."
- Utilize electronic and service manuals.
- Define the overview of the automobile and its major components.
- Install electronic pollution controls.
- Test, service and repair electronic pollution controls requirements.
- Repair electronic braking systems.
- Explain testing, service and repair requirements for electronic braking systems.
- Identify electronic controlled trip computers.
- Install warning, security, and sound systems.
- Prepare engines for removal. Disassemble, inspect, and clean engine parts.
- Inspect and measure crankshaft.
- Install bearing, pistons, piston rings, and crankshaft
- Perform reconditioning of valve seats and valve stem seals.
- Remove the camshaft. Install timing components, gears chain, and belts.
- Inspect and service oil pumps.
Total Credits: 20
In compliance with Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations 668.6 of the Higher Education Act of 2008, click here to obtain information about tuition and fees, and other information associated with Delaware County Community College Gainful Employment Programs.