Automotive Technology I, Certificate
This certificate is designed to prepare the student for entry level positions in the occupational specialty of automotive technician. The Certificate of Competency in Automotive Technology I will be awarded upon successful completion of the minimum competencies as out-lined below. Program completers will be prepared to seek positions as entry-level automotive service technicians and automotive mechanics.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Identify tool and equipment nomenclature.
- Adhere to tool safety regulations.
- Explain the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and the "right to know."
- Utilize electronic and service manuals.
- Define the overview of the automobile and its major components.
- Install electronic pollution controls.
- Test, service and repair electronic pollution controls requirements.
- Repair electronic braking systems.
- Explain testing, service and repair requirements for electronic braking systems.
- Identify electronic controlled trip computers.
- Install warning, security, and sound systems.
- Prepare engines for removal. Disassemble, inspect, and clean engine parts.
- Inspect and measure crankshaft.
- Install bearing, pistons, piston rings, and crankshaft
- Perform reconditioning of valve seats and valve stem seals.
- Remove the camshaft. Install timing components, gears chain, and belts.
- Inspect and service oil pumps.