Study Abroad to Jamaica
May 23-29, 2014
Cost: $980 (including air fare), plus $458 for tuition for three-credit course, plus textbook
Delaware County Community College students will visit Jamaica alongside Arcadia University students and enjoy cultural experiences in Kingston, Montego Bay and Spanish Town. Excursions include a visit to the Bob Marley Museum, Dunn’s River Falls, the Erna Brodber Writing Retreat Compound and other sites. After returning from Jamaica, students will continue their course studies through the College’s Summer I session, which runs until July 2.
History, Politics and Culture of the Caribbean: Jamaica
The course will cover a comparative history of British and Spanish colonialism: the political-economy of slavery onto which those former colonists thrived; the cultural imperatives imposed on the populations; and the political institutions created to maintain their hegemony.
Click here for Syllabus >>
Wednesday, Dec. 4, 5 p.m., Marple Campus, Academic Building, Room 2249
Wednesday, Dec. 11, 11 a.m., Exton Center Main Lobby
Thursday, Dec. 12, 3 p.m., Marple Campus, Academic Building, Room 2201
A limited number of scholarships are available to cover the cost of the three-credit course offered in the program.
By February 14, 2014: $250 non-refundable deposit, Delaware County Community College’s Summer in Jamaica Application and Deposit Forms, and passport photocopy (passport must be valid for a minimum of six months beyond program’s dates)
By March 14, 2014: $730
(Includes remaining balance)
Delaware County Community College students eligible for financial aid may be able to use a portion of their package toward the cost of the class. If you are currently receiving aid for the 2013-2014 academic year, please consult with the Financial Aid Office immediately to discuss possible options. If you did not apply for financial aid for this year, you may still do so by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), preferably online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Your FAFSA must be filed by April 1.
Any Delaware County Community College student interested in using financial aid to assist with the cost of participating in this program is encouraged to make an appointment with our Financial Aid Office.
Financial Aid Contact:
Financial Aid Advisor
Students from other colleges participating in the Summer in Jamaica program should contact the financial aid department at their home institution.
- Contact Karen Kurzenski in Delaware County Community College’s Enrollment Management Office to request the College’s “Summer in Jamaica” Application and Deposit Forms (email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-359-5141). Persons not currently enrolled at the College will also be required to submit a Delaware County Community College Application for Admission with a $25 application fee, along with an unofficial transcript to verify completion of prerequisites. Individuals without prior college work will be referred to take the College’s placement exam.
- By February 14, 2014 return the following to Delaware County Community College’s Enrollment Management Office:
- Completed “Summer in Jamaica Application”
- Completed and Signed Deposit Form and $250 non-refundable deposit. Checks should be payable to “Delaware County Community College.” VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover cards are also acceptable for in-person payment or through delaGATE (must be currently enrolled or have an application on file for Summer I to access delaGATE).
- A photocopy of your passport
- By March 14, 2014, submit the $730 balance due.
- Ensure that your tuition for course(s) selected is paid by the deadline reflected on the invoice you will receive from the College once we have registered you.
For academic course and program information:
Professor Ife Williams
Public Service & Social Science
Room 3310, Academic Building, Marple Campus
901 South Media Line Road
Media, PA 19063
610-359-5058 or email@example.com
For application and registration information:
Ms. Karen Kurzenski
Room 3540, Founders Hall, Marple Campus
901 South Media Line Road
Media, PA 19063
610-359-5141 or Kkurzenski@dccc.edu