Theatre Arts, Certificate
The Certificate of Competency in Theatre Arts is designed for students who wish to have sufficient theatre training to be able to pursue a career in the theatre, or who wish to apply for certain graduate level theatre training programs which accept students without a B.A. All Theatre Arts courses are transferable for those students who wish to pursue a B.A. in Theatre or Communication Arts. In the Theatre Arts Certificate of Competency program, students are given a strong background in a broad range of theatre skills, including acting, set construction and design, lighting design, costume and make-up design, and theatre history. Students may then choose from elective courses in Theatre Arts to complete the requirements for the Certificate of Competency.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the global history of Theatre, its major genres and trends, and most influential practitioners.
- Analyze and critique plays and scripts.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the basic theories and techniques of acting.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of set, lighting, costume, and make-up design.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of tool usage and safety.
- Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively within a group of diverse talents and skills to bring a play or script to performance.
First Semester (16 credits)
|DRA 100 - Introduction to Theatre||3|
|DRA 110 - Acting I||3|
|DRA 111 - Acting II||3|
|DRA 116 - Stagecraft||3|
|DRA 114 - Theatre Arts Practicum||1|
|DRA Elective 3 Credits - Choose one of the following:|
|DRA 105 - Acting Shakespeare||3|
|DRA 130 - Voice and Movement||3|
|ENG 207 - Creative Writing: An Introduction to Playwriting||3|