Medical Coding and Billing for Healthcare Professionals, Certificate
The Certificate of Competency in Medical Coding and Billing for the Health Care professional is designed to meet the needs of current licensed or certified Health Care Professionals (nurses, respiratory therapists, medical assistants) or graduates of the Health Studies Associate in Applied Science Degree program who are interested in becoming Professional Medical Coders and Billing or expanding their current job responsibilities to include medical coding.
This program provides students with the skills necessary to function as Physician-Based Coders, Hospital Coders, or Medical Claims Reviewers. Today, there are many demands for coding specialists and accurately coded data from the medical record in all types of health care institutions. Coded data are used on claims for reimbursement, patient care management, and healthcare evaluation and research. The curriculum includes medical terminology, human anatomy, computer skills and CPT and ICD coding. The graduate may sit for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H) examinations offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders.
A Certificate of Competency in Medical Coding and Billing for the Health Care Professional (MCH) will be awarded upon completion of this curiculum with a 2.0 GPA and a "C" or better in all allied health (AH) courses.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the anatomical structure and physiological functioning of the human body and of medical terms descriptive of body systems.
- Describe the ethical and legal concepts of concern to reimbursement in health care.
- Apply appropriate coding systems as they pertain to the identification of diseases and procedures in medical practices and hospital settings.
- Evaluate coding procedures for achievement of optimal quality in seeking appropriate reimbursement.
- Demonstrate ability to interact successfully with all significant private and government medical reimbursement systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and practices applicable to health information.
Total Credits: 18
In compliance with Higher Education Act 2008, click here to obtain information about tuition and fees, and other information associated with Delaware County Community College Gainful Employment programs.