Culinary Arts, Certificate of Competency
The Culinary Arts, Certificate of Competency prepares students for employment in various segments of the foodservice industry in positions such as restaurant chef, banquet chef, sous chef, kitchen manager, production cook, line cook and prep cook. The certificate includes courses providing skill development in kitchen lab courses, and is designed for a student who, either wants to enter the field of Culinary Arts.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of foodservice and culinary terminology
- Exhibit the ability to identify various food products and their common uses
- Demonstrate various cooking methods and appropriate presentation techniques
- Properly use and care for professional foodservice equipment and culinary tools
- Produce foods that meet employers' standards and satisfy consumer demands
- Exhibit ability to produce various ethnic and regional cuisines
- Apply principles of good nutrition in producing foods that meet consumer demands
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe food handling practices; receive food handlers' sanitation certification
- Seek successful employment in a wide variety of commercial and non-commercial foodservice operations
Total Credits: 27
In compliance with Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations 668.6 of the Higher Education Act of 2008, click here to obtain information about tuition and fees, and other information associated with Delaware County Community College Gainful Employment Programs.