Carpentry (Finish), Certificate
This certificate will provide the student with the technical skills and knowledge to lay out, cut, fabricate, erect, install and repair wooden structures and fixtures using hand and power tools. The program includes instruction in technical mathematics, framing, construction materials and selection, job estimating, blueprint reading, foundations and roughing-in, finish carpentry techniques and applicable codes and standards. The program prepares individuals for positions such as Finish Carpenters, Construction Estimators, Construction Planners and/or First-Line Supervisors.
Upon successful completion of the program, the student should be able to:
- Select the proper window and door sizes based on rough openings and manufacturers specifications.
- Install windows on "New" house construction, replacement windows, and additional window placement.
- Select various types of window glazing, glazing materials, and installing glass.
- Construct and set door frames. Identify and install door and window hardware.
- Describe various types, sizes, and uses of drywall panels.
- Describe hardware, adhesives, and applications of drywall.
- Make single and multi-ply drywall applications to interior walls and ceilings.
- Reinforce and conceal joints with tape and compound.
- Identify standard and crown moldings and their applications.
- Install window trim, including stools, aprons, jamb extensions, casings, and stop beads.
- Identify various types of staircases and balconies and their terminology.
- Perform mathematical calculations to determine proper tread rise and run of a staircase.
- Layout and fabricate plain, square cut, mitered and housed stringers and stair horses.
- Layout and fabricate platforms and landings.
- Construct and install balusters, newels, and handrails.
- Fabricate and install balcony skirts.
- Utilize existing building codes to comply with code enforcement regulations.
- Describe the types, sizes, and grades of hardwood flooring.
- Apply strip, plank, and parquet flooring.
- Estimate quantities of wood finish flooring required for various installations.
- Apply underlayment and resilient tile floor.
- Apply special underlayment and pre-finished floor systems.
- Finish wood flooring.
Total Credits: 21
In compliance with Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations 668.6 of the Higher Education Act of 2008, click here to obtain information about tuition and fees, and other information associated with Delaware County Community College Gainful Employment Programs.