Hotel and Restaurant Management, A.A.S.
The Hotel/Restaurant Management program is designed for individuals seeking specialized training and knowledge as preparation for a career in the vast hospitality industry. The successful graduate can enter the industry at a supervisory level and perform management functions and duties to this industry.
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Awareness of the variety of career options in lodging/restaurant management.
- Use terminology specific to the lodging/restaurant/food service industry.
- Understand the common supervisory skills required to operate a lodging property..
- Apply federal, state, and local laws and regulations that are specific to the lodging and restaurant industry.
- Be certified in food handling sanitation.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of foods typically served in a lodging or food service establishment.
- Plan and cost a meal for a group.
- Use generally accepted accounting practices to record transactions common to this industry.
- Use financial information to control internal costs and improve operational effectiveness.
- Communicate effectively with employers, employees, customers, vendors and the community in writing and speech.
- Use computer application software to prepare reports and presentations.
- Apply human resource management principles in dealing with employees.
- Use sales techniques common to the service marketing of lodging and food.
First Semester (15 credits)
|ENG 100 - Composition I||3|
MAT 135 - Business Precalculus
|DPR 100 - Introduction to Information Technology||3|
|HRM 100 - Introduction to Hospitality||3|
|HRM 110 - Food Sanitation and Safety Supervision||3|
MATH 105, MAT 135 or above
Second Semester (15 credits)
Third Semester (15 credits)
|HRM 145 - Sales and Marketing in Hospitality|
BUS 230 - Principles of Marketing
|HRM 253 - Restaurant Management||3|
|HRM or CUL electives 6 credits|
|Science Elective 3 credits|
Fourth Semester (15 credits)
|HRM 165 - Managing Hospitality Human Resources|
BUS 215 - Human Resource Management
|HRM 254 - Catering & Event Planning||3|
|HRM 199 (CSEL) or CUL or HRM electives 6 Credits|
|Humanities Elective 3 Credits|