Health Studies, A.A.S.
The Associate of Applied Science in Health Studies is designed to offer students interested in working within the health care field an opportunity to attain the associate degree. Students acquiring this degree would be able to pursue advancement opportunities within varied health care settings. Examples of positions that would be applicable include: Billing Supervisor, Patient Service Representative, Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Supply Manager, and Allied Health Instructor. This program is especially advantageous for students who have completed certificates of competency and proficiency programs offered by the Allied Health and Nursing department and wish to complete a degreed course of study. The program offers a broad view of health care related topics while providing a basic liberal studies foundation.
Upon completion of this program the student will be able to:
- Know the terminology and bio-psycho-social foundations related to the function of the human body.
- Discuss the bio-psycho-social and economic principles that guide and govern health care delivery systems.
- Demonstrate the analytic and critical reasoning skills necessary to function effectively in health care settings.
- Utilize skills and knowledge related to proficiency in health care computer applications.
- Analyze the ethical and legal issues related to health care.
- Explain aspects of and factors related to current trends and in health care management and delivery.
- Advance personal career paths and interests related to employment in health care.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately in oral and written exchanges.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues and practices applicable to health information.
Second Semester (15 credits)
|Humanities Elective 3 Credits|
|Open Elective 3 Credits|
Third Semester (15-16 credits)
|Allied Health Elective 3 Credits|
|Social Science Elective 3 Credits|
Humanities Electives include: Any courses listed as ART, DRA, ENG 113 or above, FRE, HUM, ITA, MUS, PHI, SPA, COMM
AH elective include: Courses listed as AHM, AHN, AHS, AHU, RTH (must be a skills course related to clinical or administrative responsibilities)
Social Science electives: Any course listed as HIS, POL, ECO, PSY (above 140) or SOC (above 110)
A student must take either AHM and AHM 105 OR BIO 150 and BIO 151. Note a student may take AHM 105 prior to taking AHM 104.
For students holding external certificates who wish to transfer credits to this program Natural Science electives will satisfy these credit requirements.
An Associate of Applied Science will be awarded upon completion of the Health Studies curriculum with a 2.0 GPA and a grade of "C" or better in all Allied Health (AH) courses.